EPI Cat Support Group
This list is offered for informational purposes only. I do not endorse any brands of food. These foods were passed along from Enzyme Diane clients that are dealing with EPI in their cats. As with dogs each cat will respond differently to each food and you should discuss with your veterinarian what would be best for your pet.
- Hill’s Prescription Diet d/d Duck Formula
- Iams Digestive Control
- Taste of the Wild
- Blue Buffalo Chicken
- Feline Instinct Chicken
- Fancy Feast
- Wellness Pouch-Turkey and Duck
- Weruva Pouch- Pumpkin Jack Splash
- Tikki Cat Wild Salmon & Chicken or other Salmon or Tuna Flavors or Chicken & Egg
- Evanger’s Beef Tips with Gravy
- Evo 95% Duck
Ideas for Enzyme Administration & Dosing for Cats
The information following is from EPI cat owners and offered as suggestions. Not all doses or administration methods work for each pet and you should consult your veterinarian as to what is best for your pet.
- Pancreatin 6x powder: 1/8 tsp. incubated in 1 Tbsp. canned food then store in frig for use throughout day. I Feed 1/2 can per feeding. Halfway through meal, give 1 tsp. of incubated enzyme. This must be finger fed as she will never eat the enzyme treated food on her own. Also on B-12 injection regimen.
- Dealing with cats is pretty much the same as dealing with dogs, based on what I’ve read. The big difference is that some cats are picky, picky, picky about the taste, texture and smell of the food. My calico cat, Martha will NOT eat food laced with Pancreatin. I needed to find an alternate method of delivery.
I finally figured out that if I mixed one teaspoon of pancreatin, with one teaspoon of water, and one teaspoon of pate (ground-up) type cat food, let it sit for 20 minutes, and then administered it orally by syringe, I could feed the cat its normal food immediately after. Eureka! The enzyme was in her stomach just before she received her dinner. And she could eat the same food as her companion cat.
Because the Martha reflexively claws and squirms when I squirt the slurry into her mouth, I wrap her in a towel, flip her over on her back and administer the pancreatin mixture like one would to a human baby. Then I feed her immediately.
Also, I mix the slurry in advance and keep the syringe in the fridge. This cuts down the 20 minute waiting time (enzyme incubation) after the pancreatin is freshly mixed. The 20 minutes of yowling is too painful for me to bear and wears out the cat.
When I take the syringe of slurry out of the fridge just prior to feeding, Martha begins to purr, as she knows food will immediately follow. Shades of Pavlov, I guess. The oral administration of the enzyme needs to be immediately followed by food if the cat is to associate the enzyme dosage with “good things are happin’ to me!”
- Lila’s mom gives her 1/4 tsp enzymes (try to feed her 3 wet meals a day if I can, plus I leave a dish of dry out all the time (with powder mixed in of course.) I have to let it set at least 20 minutes, or it seems to irritate her mouth. Lila also gets 1/2 tablet folic acid in one of her wet meals every day, and once a month she gets a B12 injection.
- I had a stray kitten come into my life 1-1/2 years ago. He was diagnosed with EPI, and has had chronic, foul smelling diarrhea every single day of his life. I purchased enzymes and began to give them to stray. He gained weight, but the chronic diarrhea remained. After trying almost every cat food on the market, from dry to canned, I finally tried mixing the enzymes with INSTINCT brand raw venison cat food. The diarrhea is GONE. 100% GONE. The odor is 100% GONE. This food comes in little discs that are frozen. I take out about 2 discs from the freezer and let them come to almost room temperature. I then add about 1/4 teaspoon of enzymes to each disc, mix and place back in the refrigerator. When its time to feed Stray, the food is ready, Just takes a few minutes to take the chill off before feeding. This product has been a miracle for both of us! I do not work for INSTINCT and have no affiliation with them. My only hope is that others with try this and have the same results!